Article 12. Issuance and renewal of diplomatic passports and official passports in the country
- An applicant a for passport or for passport renewal shall submit a declaration form filled in with sufficient information, 2 portrait photos and relevant papers specified in Clause 2 of this Article to the Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the agency authorized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Papers related to passport application or passport renewal application include:
a/ Assignment decision or written permission of a competent agency or person for a person to go abroad, clearly identifying the person eligible for passport issuance;
b/ Written approval of the agency or person competent to assign persons to go abroad, for the persons specified in Clauses 13 and 14, Article 8; and Clause 5, Article 9, of this Law, or decision and written approval of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, for the persons specified in Clause 14, Article 8; and Clause 5, Article 9, of this Law;
c/ Latest diplomatic passport or official passport; in case the passport is lost, a notice thereof of the passport holder-managing agency is required;
d/ Diplomatic passport or official passport that remains valid for less than 12 months, for those applying for passport renewal;
dd/ A copy of people’s identity card, citizen identity card or another personal identification paper and the original thereof for checking;
e/ A copy of people’s identity card, citizen identity card or birth certificate, a duplicate of the birth certificate or the adoption certificate, for under-18 persons specified in Clause 14, Article 8; and Clause 5, Article 9, of this Law, or and the originals thereof for checking;
g/ A letter of introduction of the agency or organization of the applicant’s representative whose personal identification papers are required.
- A responsible person shall receive the application, portrait photos and relevant papers; check information therein with that in the national database on exit and entry of Vietnamese citizens; take photos and collect fingerprints of first-time applicants for passports with embedded electronic chips; and issue a written appointment stating the date of notification of application processing results.
- Within 5 working days after receiving a passport or passport renewal application, the Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the agency authorized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs shall issue or renew the passport, issue a diplomatic note for visa application and notify results; in case of refusal to issue or renew the passport, it shall issue a written reply, clearly stating the reason.
- A person who apply for a diplomatic passport or an official passport or for renewal of his/her diplomatic passport or official passport in the country shall pay delivery service charge if wishing to receive his/her passport at a location other than that specified in Clause 4 of this Article.