Article 15. Issuance of ordinary passports in the country
- A passport applicant shall submit a declaration form filled in with sufficient information, 2 portrait photos and relevant papers specified in Clause 2 of this Article; produce his/her people’s identity card, citizen identity card or passport that remains valid.
- Papers related to the issuance of an ordinary passport in the country include:
a/ A copy of birth certificate or duplicate of birth certificate, for under-14 persons;
b/ Latest ordinary passport, for persons who have obtained passports; in case the passport is lost, a report on passport loss or a notice of receipt of passport loss report issued by a competent agency specified in Article 28 of this Law is required;
c/ A copy of people’s identity card or citizen identity card, for persons whose personal information changes compared to that in their latest passports;
d/ Certified copies of papers granted by competent Vietnamese agencies proving the at-law representative of a person who has lost his/her civil act capacity, a person with difficulties in perceiving and controlling his/her acts specified in the Civil Code or an under-14 person. For uncertified copies, their originals are required for checking.
- First-time passport application procedures shall be carried out at immigration office of the provincial-level Department of Public Security of the locality where the applicant registers his/her permanent residence or temporary residence; or at the immigration office of the provincial-level Department of Public Security, which is convenient for the applicant, for those with citizen identity cards.
- A first-time passport applicant may carry out procedures at the Immigration Department of the Ministry of Public Security if:
a/ There is a hospital’s letter of introduction or request for overseas medical examination and treatment;
b/ There are grounds for concluding that his/her overseas relative was hit by an accident, sick or dead;
c/ There is a written request of his/her direct managing agency, for cadres, civil servants, public employees, officers, non-commissioned officers, professional military personnel, workers and public employees in the armed forces and persons working in cipher organizations; or,
d/ For a humanitarian or emergency reason as decided by the head of the Immigration Department of the Ministry of Public Security.
- Passport application procedures from the second time onward shall be carried out at immigration offices of provincial-level Departments of Public Security which are convenient for applicants, or the Immigration Department of the Ministry of Public Security.
- A responsible person shall receive a passport application, portrait photos and relevant papers; check information therein with that in the national database on exit and entry of Vietnamese citizens; take photos and collect fingerprints of the first-time applicant for passport with embedded electronic chips; and issue a written appointment stating the date of notification of application processing results.
- Within 8 working days after receiving a passport application, the immigration office of the provincial-level Department of Public Security shall notify processing results to the applicant. Within 5 working days after receiving an application, the Immigration Department of the Ministry of Public Security shall notify results to the applicant. For the cases specified in Clause 4 of this Article, the time limit for processing the application is 3 working days from the date of application receipt. In case of refusal to issue a passport, the immigration department shall issue a written reply, clearly stating the reason.
- A passport applicant shall pay delivery service charge if he/she wishes to receive his/her passport at a location other than that specified in Clause 7 of this Article.